Monday, March 22, 2010

Commutications: Hands Free Learning

Like many other people, I commute to and from work. What makes my commute a bit special is that my commute is a little over 67 miles door to door each way. The route is not too bad, mostly open interstate across the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge of I-10, along one of the most beautiful stretches of Louisiana Swamp around.

This journey provides me a solid 1.5 hours a day for phone calls to and from franchisees. To help me keep things on track I have a multi-point checklist that I use to make sure that when I 'catch up' I don't miss any vital areas, especially when supporting new franchisees. However, the topics are more often governed by some pressing need or idea by a franchisee. These vary from technical topics, hiring processes, advertising and marketing ideas, moral support and sometimes I get calls from 'old friends' who just want to know if there is anything new going on in the system.

I've adopted the term Commutications: Communications that occur during Commuting, to describe this phase of my day. Jim Fetherman, franchisee for Central Texas, helped coined the term with me about 3-4 years ago...before there were actually any entries on Google for the term.

Commuticating is a great way to help stay in touch with your team, your customers, your company or your family. What areas in your life could you be making productive use of?

Locksmith Safety:

I use a wired earpiece (as the only bluetooth devices that I've found that can keep up with a decent battery life are giant, over the head, boom mike types used by the truckers) so I can use both hands to drive. Additionally, my Voice Dial is set up for all of the main numbers I use frequently. By pressing and holding one button, then stating the name I'm looking for it, will dial the number.

As locksmiths, we have to use the phone a lot. It is in our own best interest to invest in technology that will make our day safer! So while you are Commuticating please remember to be safe as possible and use a handsfree device and voice dial to avoid distractions!

Have a safe and prosperous week!

Tip: Did you know when you Google Locksmith, Pop-A-Lock is almost always on the front page.

1 comment:

  1. Rob - Good article and as always I appreciate your focus on locksmith safety. Pop-A-Lock Las Vegas is focused on safe driving and "commuticating" amongst team members so we can most efficiently navigate the city, get to jobs on time, and communicate with each other to leverage experience and expertise. This helps us keep our arrival times fast by understanding traffic patterns (especially avoiding the Strip!) and helping folks that are backed-up so they don't have to rush to the next job.

    We also use hands-free devices 100% and text messaging is prohibited while driving. Nevada will likely pass a law that prohibits it anyway, so we're staying ahead of the curve.

    We haven't yet setup the voice dial, not a bad tip...

    Thanks,
    Jeff Maltz
    Pop-A-Lock Locksmith Las Vegas
    www.popalocklv.com

    ReplyDelete