Friday, July 30, 2010

Always Learning

The recent loss of my friend and business associate, Brent Poor, has brought some aspects of my life into a clearer focus. The central theme of this focus is on the harmony in life that can come from love as primary driver, both personally and in work.

When I was told that Brent had passed, the immediate thought I had was "Impossible". The idea that such a large and prominent part of my life could just suddenly cease to exist simply could not register in my mind. This 'shock' triggered a cascade of realizations regarding the connections that my life is composed of now.

It was from this trigger and successive thought cascade that I came to the following conclusions:

1. My work is not at all separate from my personal life. Nor should it be.

2. I view my coworkers and the franchisees that we support as a very large extended family.

3. My closeness to my 'work family' rivals the intensity of any relationship I've had in my life.

4. I feel personally responsible for not only the technical and tactical competence of the franchisees and their employees, I feel directly responsible for their health, well being, happiness and satisfaction levels and of that of their families.

5. I realized this condition would likely be viewed as unhealthy by many people at first glance but upon closer examination, they would find this situation to be the most fulfilling experience that I can imagine.

6. I have no plans to lessen this attitude or the behaviors that manifest from it, rather I hope to further nurture this situation.

7. Even with the possibility of tragic endings to the tendrils of these relationships, the joy in life that I experience from these relationships categorically overshadows the negative realities that these tragedies can bring.

8. It is not through any sense of 'duty' or 'obligation' that I seek out and sustain these relationships, it is from a direct desire to love others and to support their dreams and ease their struggles in any way that God provides me.

9. Rather than distracting from my relationship with my own family, my 'work family' relationships strengthens my resolve, enlightens my mind to new possibilities and brings harmony to my sense of self because it unites my life with a single common thread...Love.

10. Lastly, and most importantly, the quality of my life is directly proportionate to the quality of life of those that I support. It is directly from these relationships that I draw my focus, my strength, my stamina, my direction and my 'will to continue'.

There are great lessons to be learned from any tragedy. This recent tragedy has served as a stark reminder that much of the joy in my life emanates from the connections I have with those around me. If you find yourself in a similar situation, rest assured that you are not 'spreading yourself too thin', embrace it and let it enrich your life and everyone you connect with.

In Memory of Brent Patrick Poor

-Rob Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment