Monday, January 26, 2009

Locksmith Weekend Training in Brownsville, Tx

Typical Pop-A-Lock Weekend

1. Drove from Louisiana down to Brownsville, tx to do some training with the local franchise guys down there. I packed up a bunch of training locks and materials, tools and machines into my little Scion and headed out on I-10.

2. I stopped in Houston to visit with the local franchisee. He has been very happy with the locksmiths on staff down there and particularly one who has really taken the ball and run with it. I believe he and his nephew post here as well.

3. I got into Brownsville around 1am and checked into the hotel. They had karaoke night going on and the place was packed. A young Hispanic girl was belting out a cool version of Kid Rock's "all summer long" while I was checking in.

4. I met up with Brian, Raymond and Roger. They have all been with Pop-A-Lock since they started in Brownsville back in 1997. They were early so we got started a little early on the class. They have been doing straight teching no locksmiting but are licensed non-the-less.

5. We covered a lot of material, working from a general Res/Comm curriculum focusing on the hands-on practice, especially on dis-assembly when no key is present.

6. The topics were:

a. Texas Law, Technical Integrity and Fair Business practices. (gleaned from Aloa's code of ethics and the North Carolina materials alluding to the same.

b. ADA and Life Safety

c. Verification of Authorization

d. Key Blank Identification

e. Codes and Code Machines

f. Hand Filing and fundamentals of impressioning

g. Professional Opening techniques and picking refresher, picking, Pickgun, Adams Rite Bypass, F-Series bypass tool from Laser security products, Bumping, loiding, other miscellaneous bypass methods.

h. Service of KW Classic, KW Titan/Ultra Max, KW Smart Key, SC A series, Sc F series, Weiser, Weslock, Mortise, Rim, AL series, L series schlage mortise case locks, 1850 and 4700 series Adams Rite, touch pad type exit devices and a discussion of 'removal of deadbolts with no visible screws'.

i. Installation techniques and tools.

j. Dispatch methodologies and technology

k. Integration of LON network providers to daily operations.


7. We finished up very late. All the guys were very interested in the material and showed a lot of motivation during the class. I could tell that Brian was the type with a natural interest in the industry and was very eager to know more and wants more and deeper training.

When we field stripped the AL series schlage down from thumb turn to keyway they get to see EXACTLY how the lock works and always seems to be a highlight of a class.

8. We ate at a little hole in the wall type BBQ place called 'Fat Daddy's', a most appropriate name as I'm sure I would gain 50lbs if I lived nearby. I didn't think there was any way I would be able to finish the giant pile of meat they put on that plate but I got it done! If ever down in Brownsville area it's worth a lunch stop for sure.

9. After class, we spent some time talking shop and future goals of the location. I learn as much from a class as the students do, especially when working with veteran techs. I always get a new perspective on things and pick up tips, tricks and thought processes that I didn't have before.

10. I got back to hotel, caught up on the forums and email and shut it down for the night.

11. I got on the road this morning about 6am. It's about 615 miles and I really don't like to speed so I'll be home mid-afternoon. I've got some heavy weeks coming up, always seems like the first of the year brings new projects, efforts and 'wrap ups' from the previous year. One of the main missions right now is working with the investigators and the attorney's against the scammers. We've got a big technical project in the works and the national accounts program is a source of constant focus/distraction and coordination and work!

No comments:

Post a Comment